National Honor Society
National Honor Society is more than just an honor roll. The Gull Lake High School National Honor Society Chapter establishes rules for membership that are based upon a student's outstanding performance in the areas of Scholarship, Service, Leadership, and Character. These criteria form the foundation upon which the organization and its activities are built.
Advisor: Mrs. Rowland
Meets the 1st Thursday of the month @ 6:50 AM.
Events that NHS is involved in-
- Veterans Day Drive- November
- March of Dimes- Bread lift- November
- Warm Up the Winter- December
- Bright Holiday-December
- American Red Cross- Red out Basketball Game- January
- NHS Fun Night- February
- Community Healing Centers Tips for Kids- May
The object of the Gull Lake High School NHS chapter is to create an enthusiasm for scholarship, to stimulate a desire to render service, to promote worthy leadership and to encourage the development of a character in students.
The selection process will happen two (2) times during the course of a student's high school career. During the spring trimester, sophomores and juniors that have a cumulative GPA of 3.50, or higher, will receive a letter indicating eligibility for consideration. Eligible sophomores and juniors will complete an application and essay that demonstrates:
- SERVICE: Voluntary contributions made by the student to the school or community (no less than 9 hours from two sources for sophomores; 12 hours from two sources for juniors).
LEADERSHIP: Experiences are drawn from school or community activities while working with or for others (sophomores need one leadership experience; juniors need two).
- CHARACTER: A student in good character upholds principles of morality and ethics, is cooperative, demonstrates high standards of honesty and reliability, shows courtesy, concern, and respect for others, and generally maintains a good and clean lifestyle.
Selection Process for new NHS Inductees
Invitations to apply for NHS will be mailed to eligible sophomores and juniors before spring break. The deadline for applications will be the week we return from Spring Break.
The faculty council meets - and evaluate the applications and teacher evaluations. Character and Leadership are the pillars that are evaluated.
Students receive a hand-delivered letter of denial or acceptance shortly after that.
NHS Induction for all new members will take place in early May. Parents are invited to the ceremony. All present NHS members and inducted members attend.