GL Center for the Fine Arts
Welcome to the GLCS Fine Arts Program. At the high school level we offer marching band, concert band, symphonic band, choir, guitar, performing arts and visual arts. At the middle school we offer band, jazz band, choir, guitar and visual arts and we offer music and art classes at the elementary levels. The Gull Lake Virtual Partnership offers virtual courses and in person or online applications in music, visual arts, and dance.
Please see the pages below for more information on specific classes/programs.
Gull Lake High School Band students are a vital and visible part of our community. Throughout the school year, students perform and entertain the crowds at home varsity football and basketball games, pep assemblies, local parades and concerts. They compete against other Michigan bands in MCBA contests, and this year achieved superior ratings at both the fall MSBOA Marching Festival and spring Band and Orchestra Festival. Many students perform outside of school at events such as District and State Solo & Ensemble Festivals, and with community groups such as the Kalamazoo Music School Jazz & Creative Institute, the Kalamazoo Junior Symphony Orchestra, and the WMU Spring Conference All-Star Band.
We invite you to attend a concert - cheer us on at a competition - get involved with the GLBPA - and sit back and enjoy the music.
The Gull Lake High School Choir is a performance based class for students of all vocal abilities. The Choir performs throughout the school year in our community, including holiday performances during Richland Wassailing and for the Rotary Club, concerts for friends and family, and the Southwest Michigan Vocal Festival at Western Michigan University.
We are excited about the Gull Lake Center for the Fine Arts and can't wait to fill this beautiful new performance space with song!
- Intro to Drama/Theatre - an introduction to Theatre performance and technology, an active, fun, challenging, and creative class.
- Intro to Acting - invites students to explore the art of acting through a variety of creative experiences.
- Oral Tradition I (storytelling) - an introduction to the magical world of storytelling, teaching the powerful life skill of storytelling.
- Stagecraft & Theatre Design - a hands-on course that introduces students to all technical and production elements of a live performance: lighting design and execution, sound design and execution, prop building techniques, set building techniques, costume design and execution, media and publicity design, and make up design and execution.
- Improvisation & Sketch Comedy - in this class students will study improvisation techniques and apply them to both long and short form improvisation.
- Creative Development - is designed with any type of artist in mind: visual, performing, literary, musical, etc. The class explores the nature of creativity and the habits that enable one to be creative no matter the art form or activity.
PAC is the Performing Arts Company at Gull Lake High School. The students in PAC work on every aspect of Gull Lake High School’s theatrical productions, such as costumes, makeup, props, sets, lights, sound, media, directing, and acting, making PAC’s performances truly student focused.
PAC’s yearly schedule currently consists of a full-length production in the fall, a one-act touring competition show in the winter, and senior-directed one acts in the spring.
PAC members usually meet once a month. They also coordinate social activities as a group, such as movie nights and a Christmas party.
The Gull Lake High School Performing Arts Company (PAC) ended their 2020-2021 season on a high note with a production of The Great Gatsby adapted for the stage by Simon Levy. The play, based on the classic novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is centered around the character of Nick Carraway, who rents a small bungalow in West Egg (outside of New York City) for a summer in the 1920s. While there, he encounters his cousin, Daisy, and her husband, Tom Buchanan. Through them he meets Jordan Baker, a professional golfer known for cheating in a tournament. He also happens to be the neighbor to Jay Gatsby, a past love of his cousin Daisy’s. After getting entangled in the lives of these characters, Nick comes to see their deeply flawed behaviors and his once optimistic view of their world and the American Dream is shattered.
August 19, 2021
6th Grade Rental Meeting
MS Cafeteria 7:00 pm
December 7, 2021
Holiday Concert (6th, 7th, 8th)
MS Gym(Call=6:30pm)7:00 pm
February 22, 2022
Pre-Festival Concert (7th, 8th)
MS Gym(Call=6:30pm)7:00 pm
March 4, 2022 Recruiting Concert In School (6th)
MS Café 1:00 pm
(6th Grade will play during the school day for 5th graders)
March 10, 11, or 12, 2022
District Band Festival(7th, 8th)
May 24, 2022
Spring Concert (6th, 7th, 8th)
GL Center for the Fine Arts (Call=6:30 pm)7:00 pm
The Gull Lake Virtual Partnership (GLVP) provides a variety of learning opportunities for students in grades K-12.
GLVP's fine arts offerings include:
* music courses with applications for individual and group instruction
* art courses with applications of painting, life drawing, clay and more
* dance courses with applications in a variety of dance styles, from tap to ballet and more
For more information, please contact Cindy Fadel, cfadel@
Professional Musicians/Music Instructors
- Beason, Lori
- Bolthouse, Holly
- Brooks, Ann
- Burghart Music Studio
- Burke, Jaclyn
- Butler, James
- Cary, Judy
- Cleland, Sara
- Code, Karin
- Community Music School-Battle Creek
- Conklin, Carol
- Cook, Caleb (Josh)
- Cuffman, Timothy
- Dickerson Music Company
- Elson, Brynn
- Field, Bethany
- Flick, Tamara
- Forbes, Daniel
- Freeburn, Paul
- Grubbs, Leslie
- Hale, Jeff
- Harris, Paula
- Hastings Community Music School
- March Music Studio
- Marks, Lindsey
- Marks, Samuel
- Meldrum-Roy, Piper
- Monahan, Robert
- More, Kimberly
- Oexler, Becky
- Rose, Cindy
- Runyon, Renee
- Ryskamp, Thomas
- Shank, Rachel
- Simmons, Crista
- Slavujevic, Vladimir
- Snyder, Joel
- Stark, Alexis
- Sutherland, Nancy
- Suzuki Academy Kalamazoo
- Swarthout, Ed
- Thomas, Erin
- Trainor, Paul
- WMH Fine Arts
- White, Meridian
- Williams, Stephen
Professional Dance Instructors/Studios
- 360 Dance Company
- Dale, Koren
- Traci Phelps Studios
- Design Street
- East End Studio & Gallery
- Simpson, Necia
Professional Theater Instructors
- Janice Marsh-Prelesnik
- Traci Phelps Studios