2012 Bond Information
In 2011, Gull Lake Community Schools began the task of assessing what needs our students and staff might have as it relates to the 21st century. Through that process, we developed a vision of what our staff and students would need to meet those standards.
Gull Lake Community School’s vision for instructional technology involves the 5 C’s of student learning that are essential for 21st Century success
- Content — Students having access to course content 24/7 with opportunity for relearning or advancing through content, which promotes individualized instruction.
- Connecting — Students having the opportunity to join with people, companies, other area teachers, other students, etc. to come up with end learning outcomes.
- Collaborating — Students working together, not just with each other and their teacher, but also with other resources outside the classroom.
- Creating — Students being able to elaborate, refine, analyze, and evaluate their own ideas to maximize creative thinking and problem solving.
- Critical Thinking — Students evaluating information to come up with their own answers and problem solving techniques.
From there, we evaluated our options and put to our community a bond renewal proposal that would provide funding not only for initial purchase but also for sustainability in making this initiative last. We are very thankful and appreciative for the support our community provided us in passing this bond.
Gull Lake Community Schools has partnered with Apple to provide necessary equipment and training for our staff members for this initiative. This is a multi-year project with upgrades and enhancements made over the next 10 years.
While seeing trends in educational technology over the last five years, we have been building infrastructure and application availability with the thought that eventually, a mobile learning environment would be able to occur at Gull Lake, while still maintaining the exceptional learning and classroom settings and having this device as another tool available to the staff and students.
Gull Lake Community Schools will be utilizing a multi-device approach to this initiative. Students in grades 9-12 as well as Kindergarten will receive an iPad that will be available to them while they are students at Gull Lake Community Schools. In all the buildings, carts will be available with laptops as well as iPads for those buildings that students do not have them. Teachers will be getting iPad devices to train and work on and develop curricular enhancement techniques using the devices with their students.
Students in grades 9-12 will have the option to take the devices home when they submit appropriate paperwork.